The Wharf has been rebuilt many times
before reaching it's present stage. It started out as little more than a
one boat mooring then expanded to about 50 feet before reaching it's
present length of 127 feet.
To order click >>
The railroad didn't lay tracks to the
waterfront till 1900 and then they were almost a block away. When the
Wharf was built to it's present length in 1920 the tracks were laid
along side the Wharf, not on it. The area between the ties was filled
with timber to allow trucks, hand carts and such to unload freight for
the local businesses.
Piles were sunk into the Fall Creek mud and
bedrock was found only 10 feet down so it has a solid footing. Wood
beams and wood timber decking top the piles.
There is a native cut stone retaining wall
running the entire length of the Wharf.
This end view of the Wharf shows how the
railroad tracks run just beside, not on, the Wharf and the area between
the rails is filled with timbers to the level of the Wharf and
Fender piles where driven shortly
after a river schooner took out a small portion of the Wharf
during docking. Ladders are also provided so people arriving from
upstream in small boats can gain access to the stores especially on
Friday and Saturday nights.
This will be the third
kit released in the series.
Dimensions shown are approximate till the kit design is complete. Actual
dimensions will be posted at that time.